Six Years Since Graduating From Lehman

I attended Lehman College from 2003 to 2007. I still cannot believe it has been 6 years since I sat on the Lehman baseball field, sweating from the intense heat in a black cap and gown decorated in honor cords and medals. That was one of my proudest moments and a day I'd never forget.

When I walked into the halls of Lehman's Gillet Hall as a freshman straight out of Stevenson High School in the Bronx, I wasn't sure where I would be or what I would become in four years. Upon my first class, I...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Lehman College Opened My Eyes

I want to drop the needle on the record so that Bernard Purdie's drums, Hubert Laws' flute, and Gil Scott-Heron's voice could carry us through this recollection together. Yeah, "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" was on a lot of boom boxes and on people's minds as my generation left behind the cocoon of high school and entered the wide open world that was Herbert H. Lehman College in September 1970.

Civil Rights clashes, Vietnam, the tragic loss of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy in...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Lehman Changed My Life

When I applied to Lehman in 1970, I was desperate. My husband had left me and our three small children. I only knew I would not go on welfare. I joined the Woman's Movement and decided I should go to college. At first, Lehman refused my admission, kindly telling me that I could try a community college. I took that refusal letter, turned it over, and wrote in red ink, "I have to support myself and three small children and I don't think I can do that without a college education. I'm skinny and...
1 Comment »

Remembering Frank's Franks

My friend Frank used to run a hot dog cart along the reservoir on Goulden Avenue in 1977-78, after we graduated from Lehman. Does anyone remember visiting the truck back then for lunch?

Topic: Student Life
First Name: B.
Last Name: Lauturner
State: NY

Read More » » Read More »
0 Comment »

Post Formal Education

After leaving Lehman College in 1993, I assumed I would move on to a teaching career for which my Masters degree was supposed to prepare me. While that was true to some extent, things didn't quite turn out as I had hoped. Teaching at La Guardia High School for a year after graduation was a real eye opener. I found that classes were oversized and some students weren't as serious about their art/music studies as I would have hoped. Of course, I'm speaking generally and not referring to those...

Read More »
0 Comment »

My Lehman Experience

I enjoyed Lehman when I attended the college as a student. I worked hard in life but should have worked less and concentrated more on getting better grade!  That is what matters, but back then I did not know the keys in life to be successful.

Topic: Student Life
First Name: J
Last Name: Henry
State: NY

Read More » » Read More »
0 Comment »

The Bacon Brothers at Lehman College on BronxNet

This September, the performance of the Bacon Brothers at the Lehman College Multimedia Center will be airing on BronxNet.  Join Lehman College alumnus and Distinguished Lecturer Michael and his brother Kevin as they sing a few songs and answer questions about their music and careers. Joe Mennonna accompanies them on the keyboard. 

In the Bronx, you can watch their show on Cablevision channel 67, and Verizon FiOs channel 33.  You can also watch online at http://www.bronxnet.org/livestream-67-33. ...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Sweet Dreams and Happy Graduation Counselor Education/School Counseling Class of 2012 and Welcome Class of 2016!

What a year it has been. We started off with the Class of 2012 immersed in readying their school counseling program websites, school counseling curriculum classroom lessons, school counseling brochures, and digital bulletin boards while busy in internship sites in K-12 schools in the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and beyond. To see what they look like, check out Lehman Counselor Education/School Counseling '09 alum Lisa DeMauro's Manhattan middle school counseling program website at: htt...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Celebrating 20 years of Media Production Training and Access in 2012: BronxNet at Lehman College

In 1992 BronxNet began training Lehman College students and the general public in media production. These workshops took place as the BronxNet TV studios were being set up on the campus in the sub-basement of Carman Hall.  20 years later, BronxNet has trained and provided services to almost four thousand students, and thousands more of the general public.  With tens of thousands of programming hours produced, and thousands of careers launched, this exemplary partnership between Lehman College...

1 Comment »

Networking Event at Lehman College

On March 28th from 7pm to 9pm, Lehman College and UNITY, a strategic alliance advocating news coverage by Journalists of Color, hosted a networking reception for minority journalists in the New York City area. They presented several distinguished speakers such as the President of UNITY, Joanna Hernandez, Chair of the Journalism, Communications and Theater (JCT)Department, Professor Miguel Perez, Professor James Carney from the JCT Department, and Member of the New York State Assembly...

0 Comment »

I thought I was a Loser

I thought I was a loser.

I dropped out of high school in my senior year in 1982 and worked construction for years in Alphabet City renovating apartments for people who lived in a world I only dreamed about.

In 1988 I moved back in with parents in the Bronx at the age of twenty five to try to make something of myself. I made it through undergrad in about three years because of the support and help and excellence of the people who work at Lehman.

The people in financial aid made sure I had the...

0 Comment »

Not Just A Former Athlete

So I certainly can't take credit for finding out about this story through good old fashioned journalistic know-how and fact gathering, but it's one that I felt deserves sharing nonetheless (hat tip to Lehman head track coach Lesleigh Hogg for sharing).

The term student-athlete is often thrown around by institutions of higher learning as a nice marketing term to insist that those who dedicate so much of their time and effort on the playing field are also dedicated students.  It might be a...

Read More »
1 Comment »

Lehman Studios Live - The Bacon Brothers

The Bacon Brothers Performance at Lehman Studios

The Multimedia Center is about to celebrate its second anniversary as a wonderful new resource for Lehman and CUNY students and faculty. The MMC (as we call it) is a state-of-the-art facility that supports teaching and learning for the next generation of journalists, audiovisual creators and digital media producers. This post shares one of many highlights of our program and activities over the last year. 

Sponsored by Lehman’s City and the Humanities Program, the Bacon Brothers came to the...

2 Comment »

I am a Journalism Graduate

Denisse Then in StudioI am a Multilingual Journalism graduate from Lehman College with a double minor: Business Management and Mass Communications. During my undergraduate years at Lehman, I must confess that I wasn’t the most involved student with programs and clubs thus I always kept myself busy with internships. I interned in several news stations like ABC, Univision and NY1. These internships helped me polish and improve my journalism skills. I met a lot of public figures such as reporters, anchors and...

0 Comment »

Lehman College Alumni ~ Share Your Stories

"Lehman has taught me the true meaning of social work: to make a difference in one's life." (Social Work '10)

"The greatest experience in my life." (Computer Science '99)

"Brilliant faculty, affordable tuition and a beautiful campus, as it remains today." (Literature '96)

“Some of the best years of my life were while I was a student here." (Political Science '86)

"I received a stellar education in Nursing, which helped me have a very successful career." (Nursing '74) 

0 Comment »

What Makes Counselor Education/School Counseling at Lehman Special

Hi everyone and Happy National School Counseling Week!

I am honored to be the first School of Education faculty blogger for CUNY Lehman College. The Counselor Education/School Counseling Program is in the Counseling, Leadership, Literacy and Special Education Department and our department office is Carman Hall B-20.  What makes our program special includes our focus on transformed school counseling and college and career access/readiness/success for all K-12 students. Professional School...Read... Read More »
0 Comment »