About ME!

Charlene PeraltaWelcome to my Blog! My name is Charlene Peralta.  I am a Lehman Alumni.  I started my college career in 2007 and graduated in 2011.  I have a bachelor's degree in Sociology with a minor in Childhood Education. Currently I am enrolled in the MATH-UP program. This is a one and a half year BA/MSED program in Childhood Education. It has always been a dream of mine to become a teacher and surely this program has facilitated that dream.  In my blog I will discuss MATH-UP for all those who are...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Dreams do come true...

The day has finally arrived! Thousands of Lehmanites have achieved their goals and graduated alongside myself on a day like today. No one said it would be an easy journey but having completed this chapter sure makes up for all those sleepless nights and procrastination. Last year, I graduated with my Bachelors in Sociology while this year, I graduated with my Masters of Science in Childhood Education.   Just one year later! MATH-UP is a very intensive but rewarding program. We were able to...

0 Comment »

MATH-UP Open House you say...

That’s right! The MATH UP Program is having an open house on May 24th! This is a great opportunity for those interested in becoming elementary school teachers. This may be you first year teaching, you may be wondering what teachers need to do or you may have a career change and want to try teaching out.  All are welcome.  As you may recall, this is a Graduate program in Childhood Education grades 1-6 with a specialization in mathematics and/or with a certification extension in bilingual...

0 Comment »

Class Bulletin Boards: Japan and Dr. Seuss!

It is the middle of the year, (February to be exact), and Social Studies continues to be a great hit with our students!  In the beginning of the year, we explored Africa and Nigeria.  Now, we will be learning about Asia and specifically looking at Japan.  If you look to the right of the picture, there is a chart that is explaining the rules in coloring the different cities in Japan.  Since this is a Bilingual 3rd grade class, it is important to have visuals and differentiate using colors. ...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Teaching a bilingual vs. a monolingual class

Since I started my internship in September, I have been working with a bilingual class. With the support of Math-Up, I have been allowed to start teaching a monolingual 2nd Grade class.  This class is totally different from my bilingual class. Each teacher has their own classroom rules and class sizes are very different. There are 21 students in this class. That is double of what I am used to. This is a great experience because come September, I will be in my own classroom and need to...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Differentiating in a math classroom for my action research

As learner and teacher, I research based projects very helpful in developing the necessary to become a great teacher. This semester I am taking a course where I have to create an action research project. I have to propose a question, formulate a hypothesis, conduct an experiment and make my conclusions. I decided to conduct my research on the benefits assessments have in giving the students the best learning experience related to their needs in Math. It is sad to walk into a...

Read More »
1 Comment »

What it takes to be a teacher...

Becoming a teacher has always been a dream of mine and it is still mind boggling that I am going to graduate with a MSED in childhood education through the MATH-UP program.  But I have come to realize that just because you have a Master’s degree does not necessarily mean you are a Master teacher. Yes, it’s true that through the Master’s program, we are building the foundation needed to be able to teach children, but it is a totally different ball game when you are actually in front of a class...

Read More »
1 Comment »

The MATH-UP Program is special because....

Many of you may be wondering, "what does Math-Up mean?" Well it stands for Mathematics Achievement for Teachers of High-need Urban Populations. This is a graduate program designed for students pursing a MSED in Childhood Education (Grades 1-6). In the Spring 2011 the MATH UP program inducted its first cohort of students which includes myself and 19 other participants. So how did MATH-UP come to Lehman? Lehman College School of Education was awarded a Teacher Quality Partnership (TQP) grant...

Read More »
0 Comment »