The Power of Education 2...

Ever since I became a Lehman College student, I have been lucky enough to have encountered some very strong professors. As a student returning to college after a 15 year  hiatus, I have to be real and say that I am finding that my education here is not opening my eyes to any new or unlearned ideas and theories but is validating and giving a voice to the lessons that I have learned throughout my lifetime so far. When I say this, I mean no disrespect. I think that this is the greatest...

Read More »
1 Comment »

HOT FUN IN THE SUMMER TIME

Sly and the Family Stone was not present on the  campus, but "Hot Fun in the Summertime" was our motto for Lehman College Now Summer Programs. Because students involved in our programs realized that learning is fun!

This summer over 65 students from NYC public high schools came to the Lehman campus during summer session II and enrolled in courses in Biology, Chemistry and Geographical Sciences as part of our Summer Science Academy. In addition, we have over 85 students enrolled in our Summer...

0 Comment »

QR Codes in the Library stacks

Have you noticed barcode lookalike squares in the subway or in print magazine ads? 

Ever wondered what it is? It's a QR code, which is short for Quick Response code. To read a QR code, you need a smartphone like an iPhone, Android, or Blackberry with an installed QR reader.

You can scan a QR code, but the phone needs to be connected to the Internet or it won't work. Once scanned the mysterious code converts into information, usually the link to a website, a person's phone number, or a short...
Read More »
2 Comment »

Blossom by blossom the spring begins!

For winter's rains and ruins are over,
    And all the season of snows, and sins;
  The days dividing lover and lover,
    The light that loses, the night that wins;
  And time remembered is grief forgotten,
  And frosts are slain and flowers begotten,
  And in green underwood and cover
    Blossom by blossom the spring begins.

(excerpt from Chorus of "Atalanta in Calydon" by Swinburne, Project Gutenberg, public domain)

The now somewhat infamous tree outside the window of my office in Shuster...

Read More »
5 Comment »

Looking at Lehman

Welcome to Jean Geiger's blog about people and places at Lehman College!  I want to share with you the sights and sounds here on campus. I may write about the people I meet or the things I see. Each post will be a little taste of what Lehman is like. I hope they will entice you to visit our historic campus or, if you are already part of the Lehman community, to see it with fresh eyes.

3 Comment »

What Makes Careers in Teaching Special...

Since Lehman is a commuter college, it gets kind of tough connecting with other students. Many of us are students as well as parents who also work. Trying to take the time to get to know one another can be hard, which leads me to explaining why the program that I'm a part of, Careers in Teaching, is important as well as special.

0 Comment »

Academic Advising

While I carry many different responsibilities as an Academic Advisor: technology projects, teaching in-service coursework, writing, committee work, etc., my favorite part of my job is the part described by my title. I enjoy advising students.

Much of my time spent with students is focused on helping them to choose courses that fulfill their graduation requirements.  Sounds simple? Yes, but only sometimes. Sometimes a student will need to talk through various alternatives—for example, choices...

Read More »
1 Comment »