Writing SAT Scores Set New Low

The 2012 scores for the writing SAT exam saw male and female high school students reach a new low.  The writing test was first administered in 2006. That outcome further illustrates the importance of enhanced opportunities for student writing improvement at the college level.

During spring 2012, my BBA 407—Microeconomic Foundations of Business course for first-year business students was “writing-intensive.” Such courses require students to write 15-20 pages of proofread, typed work over...

0 Comment »

The Bacon Brothers at Lehman College on BronxNet

This September, the performance of the Bacon Brothers at the Lehman College Multimedia Center will be airing on BronxNet.  Join Lehman College alumnus and Distinguished Lecturer Michael and his brother Kevin as they sing a few songs and answer questions about their music and careers. Joe Mennonna accompanies them on the keyboard. 

In the Bronx, you can watch their show on Cablevision channel 67, and Verizon FiOs channel 33.  You can also watch online at http://www.bronxnet.org/livestream-67-33. ...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Sweet Dreams and Happy Graduation Counselor Education/School Counseling Class of 2012 and Welcome Class of 2016!

What a year it has been. We started off with the Class of 2012 immersed in readying their school counseling program websites, school counseling curriculum classroom lessons, school counseling brochures, and digital bulletin boards while busy in internship sites in K-12 schools in the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and beyond. To see what they look like, check out Lehman Counselor Education/School Counseling '09 alum Lisa DeMauro's Manhattan middle school counseling program website at: htt...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Good Hair Day

Good Hair Day

Coiffures of Chelsea, art fair weekend:

Fred Wilson, “Reign” (2011). 2012 Pulse Art Fair.
His glass bead extensions hang from a cardboard globe.

Ruth Marten,”Tress.” 2012 Pulse Art Fair.
Before she became a full time illustator/artist, Marten
worked as one of the first female tattooists in New York.
She currently has a show at Hosfelt Gallery.

Sheila Hicks, “Menhir” (1998-2004). Sikkema Jenkins
& Co. Hicks has been making fiber art for 50 years. This
piece is made of linen cord.

0 Comment »

Black Beauties

Abebi and Donna Gibson; Coco and Breezy Dotson

One of the few well-known black tattooists in the U.S., Miya Bailey is worried about the plague of scratchers defacing African-Americans across the country, Lil Wayne being the limit case for bad body art. In the documentary “Color Outside the Lines” by Artemus Jenkins, Bailey introduces a generation of black artists rectifying this problem. To stand out on dark skin, they explain, tattoos need to be large, with bold lines and what artist...

1 Comment »

Billy Collins Kicks Off National Poetry Month

poetsOn March 29 Distinguished Professor and renown poet Billy Collins read along with Lehman professors Salita Bryant, Jason Koo, and George Green. The Lovinger Theatre was  packed with over 350 people in the audience. Each poet read from published and upcoming work and showed a diverse range, touching on the witty, tender, edgy, and passionate. The full video of Billy Collins reading is below.

The Arts and Literature are alive and well here at Lehman. For a full listing of Arts and Humanities...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Student Success Part I

Last week some colleagues and I attended and presented at a conference on Student Success sponsored by the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) www.aacu.org in Seattle, Washington. Seattle did not disappoint in regards to weather, it was grey and chilly, but the Pike Street Market has some great fish eateries that we were able to enjoy. Grilled salmon with a pesto mayonaisse ..... mmmm tasty.

Oh yeah - education conference.

Besides an inspiring plenary speech by Prof....

0 Comment »

Lehman as a "thin place"

I consider myself an avid traveler and I instill in my students that same love of travel.  I confess I have difficulty voicing that feeling of awe into words.  How can you verbalize the impact of the Golden Temple in Amritsar, the Taj Mahal in Agra or the Pyramids in Giza.  Eric Weiner gave me a voice in his NYTimes article this past Sunday, March 11, 2012 entitled “Where Heaven and Earth Come Closer.”

This fascinating article focuses on what he calls “thin places.” The term was used by...

Read More »
3 Comment »

School Counselors as Allies to LBGTIQ youth and families

As a school counselor educator, I've focused on two lines of scholarship--transforming the school counseling profession with school counseling program interventions to help close achievement and opportunity gaps and supporting the needs of LBGTQIA students and families. One of the great things about being a faculty member is having the time to pursue not only research and scholarship but to work with our graduate students and professional colleagues in school counseling to create the next...

2 Comment »

30 Students, 30 Year Age Difference, 30 Social Media Sites – Welcome to IBA 153

What was I thinking? That was the thought that ran through my mind as I began developing the content for my new IBA course in Lehman’s Adult Degree Program.  My challenge: How do I develop a course that is not overly intrusive, allows students to understand changing communication styles, and engages the student in an exploration and evaluation of social media sites?

As I began developing the course content, I reflected upon the traditional communication process and the normal “buzz...

1 Comment »

What Makes Counselor Education/School Counseling at Lehman Special

Hi everyone and Happy National School Counseling Week!

I am honored to be the first School of Education faculty blogger for CUNY Lehman College. The Counselor Education/School Counseling Program is in the Counseling, Leadership, Literacy and Special Education Department and our department office is Carman Hall B-20.  What makes our program special includes our focus on transformed school counseling and college and career access/readiness/success for all K-12 students. Professional School...Read... Read More »
0 Comment »