Closer to My Dreams

Working as a College Assistant at the Leonard Lief Library has given me the opportunity to gain valuable experience.  Also, working with the Library Technical Coordinator for three years has been remarkable. In education, we are using technology to make studies easier and I am able to see how the advances in technology help students in their learning. By helping students with their use of computers, projectors, laptops, PowerPoint presentations, the web, Smart Boards, word processing,...

Read More »
0 Comment »

The Power of Education 2...

Ever since I became a Lehman College student, I have been lucky enough to have encountered some very strong professors. As a student returning to college after a 15 year  hiatus, I have to be real and say that I am finding that my education here is not opening my eyes to any new or unlearned ideas and theories but is validating and giving a voice to the lessons that I have learned throughout my lifetime so far. When I say this, I mean no disrespect. I think that this is the greatest...

Read More »
1 Comment »

Incident on Friday Resolution on Monday!

Imagine how surprised I was when I pulled up to the gate and swiped my card and could not gain entrance into the parking lot when my parking permit clearly states "expired May 2012".  Apparently, students were not allowed to park on days when we did not have classes. This was due to an unanticipated change to the rules. I called public safety and the officer informed me of new rules in place  that prevented students from parking on days they did not have classes. I decided to speak to the...Read... Read More »
0 Comment »

What Makes Careers in Teaching Special...

Since Lehman is a commuter college, it gets kind of tough connecting with other students. Many of us are students as well as parents who also work. Trying to take the time to get to know one another can be hard, which leads me to explaining why the program that I'm a part of, Careers in Teaching, is important as well as special.

0 Comment »

Academic Advising

While I carry many different responsibilities as an Academic Advisor: technology projects, teaching in-service coursework, writing, committee work, etc., my favorite part of my job is the part described by my title. I enjoy advising students.

Much of my time spent with students is focused on helping them to choose courses that fulfill their graduation requirements.  Sounds simple? Yes, but only sometimes. Sometimes a student will need to talk through various alternatives—for example, choices...

Read More »
1 Comment »

What Makes Counselor Education/School Counseling at Lehman Special

Hi everyone and Happy National School Counseling Week!

I am honored to be the first School of Education faculty blogger for CUNY Lehman College. The Counselor Education/School Counseling Program is in the Counseling, Leadership, Literacy and Special Education Department and our department office is Carman Hall B-20.  What makes our program special includes our focus on transformed school counseling and college and career access/readiness/success for all K-12 students. Professional School...Read... Read More »
0 Comment »