My Favorite Faculty!

My fondest memory in 1974 was studying composition with Ulysses Kay.  I came back 30 years later and studied organic chemistry with Dr. Iraj Ganjian - both wonderful professors and professionals!

First Name: P.
Last Name: Markovich
State: New York

Read More » » Read More »
0 Comment »

Letter To Lehman College

Dear Lehman College:

My undergraduate years have ended with mixed reactions. I will miss walking the grounds, navigating the hot underground tunnels and having my early morning meditation in the stands across from the ballfield.

The journey, which began in Spring 2008 and ended in Spring 2013, has been an interesting one filled with varied learning experiences along with a few regrets.

A special thank you to the Adult Degree Program, Careers in Teaching Advisors and some of the great...

Read More »
1 Comment »

A wonderful Professor

My name is Karen Steinberg-Roback of the class of 1976. I recently read in your Lehman Today brochure that Professor George Movesian had passed away. I was saddened by the news because he was a very special teacher. I had him for an education reading class and I have told my children a story about him that was very memorable to me.

The first day of class he wrote his last name on the blackboard and went around the room asking us to say his name. None of us got it right and he was trying to...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Six Years Since Graduating From Lehman

I attended Lehman College from 2003 to 2007. I still cannot believe it has been 6 years since I sat on the Lehman baseball field, sweating from the intense heat in a black cap and gown decorated in honor cords and medals. That was one of my proudest moments and a day I'd never forget.

When I walked into the halls of Lehman's Gillet Hall as a freshman straight out of Stevenson High School in the Bronx, I wasn't sure where I would be or what I would become in four years. Upon my first class, I...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Get a degree and some wisdom

When talking about subtle ideas, it is best to be as clear as possible. Here I go... Lehman College has taught me something priceless.  It has taught me that if you love what you do, everything else falls into place. I am nearing the end of my Sophomore year and this has been the message that the professors and faculty have instilled. In addition, the faculty at Lehman exhibit a positive attitude - my goal is to become a Physician's Assistant and the idea I will take from Lehman is one that...

0 Comment »

Lehman College Opened My Eyes

I want to drop the needle on the record so that Bernard Purdie's drums, Hubert Laws' flute, and Gil Scott-Heron's voice could carry us through this recollection together. Yeah, "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" was on a lot of boom boxes and on people's minds as my generation left behind the cocoon of high school and entered the wide open world that was Herbert H. Lehman College in September 1970.

Civil Rights clashes, Vietnam, the tragic loss of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy in...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Lehman Changed My Life

When I applied to Lehman in 1970, I was desperate. My husband had left me and our three small children. I only knew I would not go on welfare. I joined the Woman's Movement and decided I should go to college. At first, Lehman refused my admission, kindly telling me that I could try a community college. I took that refusal letter, turned it over, and wrote in red ink, "I have to support myself and three small children and I don't think I can do that without a college education. I'm skinny and...
1 Comment »

Reciprocity at Lehman College

My job title is "College Assistant." Let us explore the semantics of this title. An assistant is someone who helps out with minor tasks, with the larger task often assigned to someone else. While the definition works if you are explaining the requirements of a college assistant to someone, it is insufficient when considering what something means to each individual. My understanding of my position is akin to that of a young child and a superhero: I feel like I am saving the world! OK, perhaps...

0 Comment »

My Dreams Come True @ Lehman

I have just turned 30 years old, and it has taken me all this time to finally make my way to Lehman College . Wherever my life has lead me, attending Lehman as always been a dream. Growing up the Bronx, I have always wanted to be part of something beautiful, and who could ask for a more beautiful campus so close to home? Finding out that my father also attended Lehman gave me something to connect with him on. Now that I am here, Lehman is everything I knew it would be, and I'm inspired with...

0 Comment »

Like Mother, Like Daughter

One of seven children, living in the projects, alcoholic father, desperately poor, sixth grade dropout. Yes, that was my mother's story, the story of her childhood anyway. She was determined not to let that be the story of her whole life.

Earning a college degree became her goal: the ever-present but elusive dream! Finally, nearing forty and with three children, she enrolled at Lehman. And she sure was enthusiastic. She loved Lehman! She rocked her Lehman hoodie like it was going out...

Read More »
0 Comment »

My Home Close to Home

I have been a Lehman College student for 8 years now (where does the time go?)!  I earned my Bachelor's degree in Social Work and am now pursuing my Master's degree also in Social Work (Lehman graduating class of 2013).

Lehman has been a wonderful place for me. I appreciate the assistance of all the professors who have always been willing to go the extra mile to help.  They're dedicated to their profession and passionate about their work. It's a beautiful feeling to meet people that are living...

0 Comment »

Variety at Lehman College

Part of the reason why the Lehman College experience is so great is because of the variety available at Lehman. This does not exist just among the student body but across many areas. The campus exhibits diversity in terms of the variety of its many trees and its architecture.  Some buildings were built in the 1900's and others are more modern and built with environmental considerations, such as the new science building.

Education is at the core of Lehman's mission and the fields that a student...

0 Comment »

Family at Lehman

The beginning of a new year is often a time for celebration, renewal, and reflection. My New Year's eve was not very bright due to a whole slew of things.  I was sick in the hospital and I thought to myself, "I wonder if someone will replace me at my job?" I was mulling over whether or not my absence would matter to my coworkers. 

To my surprise, most of my coworkers came to visit me every day. They brought gifts and spent time with me in what was essentially a dark place. Needless to say, I...

Read More »
0 Comment »

I've Enjoyed My Time Here at Lehman

I've enjoyed my time at here at Lehman College.  When transferring from Bronx Community College, Lehman was my first choice and I've not even come close to regretting it. The teachers here have been great - several of them being very capable and focused on making the material understandable to all students.  One of them even helped me get the job I have today, which I enjoy due to the exposure to new technologies that I've never seen before.  I've enjoyed the experiences I've been acquiring...

0 Comment »

Closer to My Dreams

Working as a College Assistant at the Leonard Lief Library has given me the opportunity to gain valuable experience.  Also, working with the Library Technical Coordinator for three years has been remarkable. In education, we are using technology to make studies easier and I am able to see how the advances in technology help students in their learning. By helping students with their use of computers, projectors, laptops, PowerPoint presentations, the web, Smart Boards, word processing,...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Online Storage for Lehman Students

When I entered Middle School, I often had to type school papers and keep other files associated with school work, first on a floppy disk, then on a USB drive. The trouble that I often encountered was forgetting. I would often forget my floppy disk or flash drive and the project would be delayed.

My woes are long gone.  With the introduction of online storage, I no longer forget or lose my data.  I will not promote a particular online storage but will discuss my thoughts. Online storage is...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Happy Holidays!

Working as a College Assistant at the Leonard Lief Library (as a Circulation Clerk), I often meet people from all walks of life. Whether they are there to do homework, study for finals or just hide from the harsh weather, you get your share of colorful characters. There is no such thing as a job free of stress and humdrum, but there is nothing else I’d rather be doing at the moment. This time, I found myself helping an older student with a flash drive issue. One quick glance and I knew...

Read More »
1 Comment »

Remembering Frank's Franks

My friend Frank used to run a hot dog cart along the reservoir on Goulden Avenue in 1977-78, after we graduated from Lehman. Does anyone remember visiting the truck back then for lunch?

Topic: Student Life
First Name: B.
Last Name: Lauturner
State: NY

Read More » » Read More »
0 Comment »

Post Formal Education

After leaving Lehman College in 1993, I assumed I would move on to a teaching career for which my Masters degree was supposed to prepare me. While that was true to some extent, things didn't quite turn out as I had hoped. Teaching at La Guardia High School for a year after graduation was a real eye opener. I found that classes were oversized and some students weren't as serious about their art/music studies as I would have hoped. Of course, I'm speaking generally and not referring to those...

Read More »
0 Comment »

My Lehman Experience

I enjoyed Lehman when I attended the college as a student. I worked hard in life but should have worked less and concentrated more on getting better grade!  That is what matters, but back then I did not know the keys in life to be successful.

Topic: Student Life
First Name: J
Last Name: Henry
State: NY

Read More » » Read More »
0 Comment »