The Return of Severe Cold to the New York City Metro Area

While most Lehman College students are off until the start of the spring 2014 semester, the opening week of January has seen the College closed on account of a snowstorm, along with two shots of severe cold that transformed the campus a great outdoor freezer.

Top Left: January 3 snowstorm that closed Lehman College; Top Right: Freezing rain on January 5; Bottom Left: Sunrise on January 7; Bottom Right: Ice at low tide on January 7.

An anonymous 16th Century writer once observed:

This winter’s...

0 Comment »

Student Use of the Library: Spring 2013 Survey

Last fall, I conducted a survey to learn about how my students were using the library. I wanted to compare the outcomes with those of a national survey. This semester, I repeated the survey in search of persistent themes.

The major findings from my survey included:

• 86% of students who used the library said that they would be "very likely" or "somewhat likely" to use the library again (83% in fall 2012).
  • 86% of students who used the library during the current semester visited the library on at...
0 Comment »

Research Paper Outlines: Background and Findings

Each semester, I assign a research paper worth 20% of the course grade. The paper should contain 15-20 double-spaced pages, along with endnotes documenting sources of information. Its writing should conform to the Modern Language Association (MLA) style.

This semester’s paper asked students to select a target company, research that company, identify a position or type of position within the organization of interest to the student, and to lay out a case why the company should hire the student.  

Thi...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Mobile First Web and Content Strategy: Lehman website is mobile!

At the 12 CUNY IT conference this past December I had the pleasure to give a presentation together with David Stevens, Manager of Web Services, Lehman College and Gerlando Termini, Web Developer, Lehman College about our work in the development of Lehman's website.

Each of us talked about different aspects of the project.

David opened with an overview of Lehman's evolving web eco-system and the mobile sites crucial role in the college's overall web content strategy.

Gerlando walked the...
Read More »
0 Comment »

Closer to My Dreams

Working as a College Assistant at the Leonard Lief Library has given me the opportunity to gain valuable experience.  Also, working with the Library Technical Coordinator for three years has been remarkable. In education, we are using technology to make studies easier and I am able to see how the advances in technology help students in their learning. By helping students with their use of computers, projectors, laptops, PowerPoint presentations, the web, Smart Boards, word processing,...

Read More »
0 Comment »

An Insight on Student Use of the Library

The November 15, 2012 edition of Library Journal discussed a survey concerning student use and perceptions of academic libraries. The article reported that even as they enjoy high approval ratings, academic libraries could benefit from improved outreach to college students.

Key findings from that survey included:

• 90% of students who used their library said that they would be “very likely” or “somewhat likely” to use the library again.
  • Students’ primary uses of the library included study...
2 Comment »

Happy Holidays!

Working as a College Assistant at the Leonard Lief Library (as a Circulation Clerk), I often meet people from all walks of life. Whether they are there to do homework, study for finals or just hide from the harsh weather, you get your share of colorful characters. There is no such thing as a job free of stress and humdrum, but there is nothing else I’d rather be doing at the moment. This time, I found myself helping an older student with a flash drive issue. One quick glance and I knew...

Read More »
1 Comment »

The Leonard Lief Library is on Pinterest: follow us!

Have you heard about Pinterest?

Pinterest is a new visual social networking site where users can pin images from the Internet to virtual boards. Similar to other social networking sites such as Facebook or Google+ users follow other users and can also re-pin images onto their own boards.
Currently we have 10 different boards ranging from a variety of different topics such as:

• Read Classics on Sony Reader: board highlighting the books we have uploaded onto our Sony e-readers
  • Government...
Read More »
1 Comment »

Going on a Library Mind Trip

Reference Desk photoEarlier this semester, a student came to the Reference Desk here at the library and told me he wanted to read as much as he could by the great philosophers of the world.  After a few minutes of discussion and a search of the library catalog, he went upstairs to the philosophy section to browse.

I was amazed to see the same student at my office door a few hours later, book in hand, to thank me for sending him on a mind trip. He said exploring the library stacks (that’s what we call the...

2 Comment »

QR Codes in the Library stacks

Have you noticed barcode lookalike squares in the subway or in print magazine ads? 

Ever wondered what it is? It's a QR code, which is short for Quick Response code. To read a QR code, you need a smartphone like an iPhone, Android, or Blackberry with an installed QR reader.

You can scan a QR code, but the phone needs to be connected to the Internet or it won't work. Once scanned the mysterious code converts into information, usually the link to a website, a person's phone number, or a short...
Read More »
2 Comment »

Telling a Story in Pictures--with Help from Some Talented Art Students

Communicating with words—that’s what I learned to do as an undergraduate English major. My professors trained me to read, speak, and write, and I’m better for it. But as any good art student knows, words are not the only means of communication. This year, junior art majors Gerard Gayle and Melissa Puma have been teaching me how to communicate with images.

Gerard Gayle and Melissa Puma Melissa and Gerard are participating in an independent study facilitated by the Leonard Lief Library (where I work) and the Art Department.......

Read More »
0 Comment »

Library Exhibit: Above the Underground Railroad, Stories in Quilts and Canvas

QuiltDuring  the Antebellum period, enslaved peoples in the South traveled North to escape bondage. They were guided along the way through coded messages directing them to abolitionist sympathizers, safe houses, and secret  routes.

Inspired by his African American heritage and traditions, 4th  generation quilter, painter and sculptor Robert Charles Hudson explores  the Underground Railroad movement. Using the mixed media of abstract art and hand sewn quilts, we see in Hudson's work symbols and...

0 Comment »