Six Years Since Graduating From Lehman

I attended Lehman College from 2003 to 2007. I still cannot believe it has been 6 years since I sat on the Lehman baseball field, sweating from the intense heat in a black cap and gown decorated in honor cords and medals. That was one of my proudest moments and a day I'd never forget.

When I walked into the halls of Lehman's Gillet Hall as a freshman straight out of Stevenson High School in the Bronx, I wasn't sure where I would be or what I would become in four years. Upon my first class, I...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Reciprocity at Lehman College

My job title is "College Assistant." Let us explore the semantics of this title. An assistant is someone who helps out with minor tasks, with the larger task often assigned to someone else. While the definition works if you are explaining the requirements of a college assistant to someone, it is insufficient when considering what something means to each individual. My understanding of my position is akin to that of a young child and a superhero: I feel like I am saving the world! OK, perhaps...

0 Comment »

Blogs@Lehman Turns One!

1st Anniversary of Blogs@Lehman

February 14th marks the first year anniversary of our experiment with the Lehman College Blog. In its first year, the blog has connected our community by providing a space to share authentic stories about Lehman's impact. Your blog posts have enabled us to learn from each other.  They have been informative, educational and inspiring.  Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Do you have a story to share about life at Lehman?  Please review our guidelines and submit a post.

Here are four fast...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Variety at Lehman College

Part of the reason why the Lehman College experience is so great is because of the variety available at Lehman. This does not exist just among the student body but across many areas. The campus exhibits diversity in terms of the variety of its many trees and its architecture.  Some buildings were built in the 1900's and others are more modern and built with environmental considerations, such as the new science building.

Education is at the core of Lehman's mission and the fields that a student...

0 Comment »

Closer to My Dreams

Working as a College Assistant at the Leonard Lief Library has given me the opportunity to gain valuable experience.  Also, working with the Library Technical Coordinator for three years has been remarkable. In education, we are using technology to make studies easier and I am able to see how the advances in technology help students in their learning. By helping students with their use of computers, projectors, laptops, PowerPoint presentations, the web, Smart Boards, word processing,...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Online Storage for Lehman Students

When I entered Middle School, I often had to type school papers and keep other files associated with school work, first on a floppy disk, then on a USB drive. The trouble that I often encountered was forgetting. I would often forget my floppy disk or flash drive and the project would be delayed.

My woes are long gone.  With the introduction of online storage, I no longer forget or lose my data.  I will not promote a particular online storage but will discuss my thoughts. Online storage is...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Lehman Alum Returns to the Multimedia Center

The Lehman Multimedia Center was happy to welcome back a recent graduate, Jeffrey Edison.  For the last two years, Jeffrey has been successfully working as a camera operator for ESPN, in Bristol Connecticut.  Luckily for us, Jeffrey returned to meet with a small group of students and let them pick his brain. 

For over an hour, Jeffrey explained his role at ESPN - providing an overview of his responsibilities, proper etiquette, and the experience as a whole.  The students had plenty of...

Read More »
0 Comment »

The Power of Education 2...

Ever since I became a Lehman College student, I have been lucky enough to have encountered some very strong professors. As a student returning to college after a 15 year  hiatus, I have to be real and say that I am finding that my education here is not opening my eyes to any new or unlearned ideas and theories but is validating and giving a voice to the lessons that I have learned throughout my lifetime so far. When I say this, I mean no disrespect. I think that this is the greatest...

Read More »
1 Comment »

What I Didn't Think Was Going To Happen

If you were to tell me that I was going to like being back in school, I would have told you that you were crazy!  I was unemployed and got a grant to take some classes and decided to take the training classes at a college. Lehman College was on the list as part of a government grant training program. Mary Dowling was the first person I met and she became one of my biggest motivators. She looked at me and said that "you seem to be taking classes here and there, why don't you try to go to...

Read More »
0 Comment »

5 Years and Off

I have spent 9 semesters at Lehman, and I AM FINALLY GOING GRADUATE!  But I am glad that I ended up at Lehman. My experiences have been great. As a freshman, I knew I wanted to go into political science and save the world, but joining Student Government actually got me working. It helped me realize that networking has the word "work" in it for a reason. Since I was able to get to know so many people and organizations, I was able to create my own major, study abroad on a full scholarship, and...

1 Comment »

Cheated But Not Robbed

I am in an auditorium of Fordham University, sitting in one of the front rows. I sit in my silky white gown, feeling anxious of what I have to do- give a valedictorian speech in front of the audience filled with school faculty members, proud parents, family members, and friends. But though I was nervous, I felt honored to be given the title of the top student in my high school senior class  And if that was not enough, I was accepted into three of my desired colleges, Maryland Institute of...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Sweet Dreams and Happy Graduation Counselor Education/School Counseling Class of 2012 and Welcome Class of 2016!

What a year it has been. We started off with the Class of 2012 immersed in readying their school counseling program websites, school counseling curriculum classroom lessons, school counseling brochures, and digital bulletin boards while busy in internship sites in K-12 schools in the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and beyond. To see what they look like, check out Lehman Counselor Education/School Counseling '09 alum Lisa DeMauro's Manhattan middle school counseling program website at: htt...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Lehman Theatre Majors Intern in NYC This Spring

theatreThis winter/spring 2012, three Lehman theatre majors can be found in Manhattan, Bronx, and Brooklyn in exciting internships with some of the biggest names in theatre and television.  In January, sophomore Kelvin Veras began an internship with Jujamcyn Theaters, the owner/operators of five Broadway theaters including the St. James, Al Hirschfeld, August Wilson, Eugene O'Neill, and Walter Kerr.  A Theater Operations intern, Kelvin spends two full days at Jujamcyn's main office and assists the...Rea... Read More »
0 Comment »

One Step at a Time: Lehman Lightning Women's Basketball

women's basketballThe Lehman Lightning Women’s basketball team has picked itself up by the bootstraps. When assessing the team’s performance thus far, one can conclude that there has been constant, gradual improvement.

Initially struggling out of the gate at 4-6, highlighted by a 53-point thumping at the hands of national powerhouse Amherst College , the Lightning remained poised and confident. After a rough 0-3 start to the season, sophomore guard Chris Mary Martinez reassured that it was simply a matter of...

0 Comment »