Congratulations Class of 2013!

Slideshow Credits: Cristhian Campaña, Migdio Dominguez, Christine McKenna, Brendan McGibney, Ishaw Thorpe, Magda Soto, Marisa WhiteRead More » » Read More »
0 Comment »

My Dreams Come True @ Lehman

I have just turned 30 years old, and it has taken me all this time to finally make my way to Lehman College . Wherever my life has lead me, attending Lehman as always been a dream. Growing up the Bronx, I have always wanted to be part of something beautiful, and who could ask for a more beautiful campus so close to home? Finding out that my father also attended Lehman gave me something to connect with him on. Now that I am here, Lehman is everything I knew it would be, and I'm inspired with...

0 Comment »

My Home Close to Home

I have been a Lehman College student for 8 years now (where does the time go?)!  I earned my Bachelor's degree in Social Work and am now pursuing my Master's degree also in Social Work (Lehman graduating class of 2013).

Lehman has been a wonderful place for me. I appreciate the assistance of all the professors who have always been willing to go the extra mile to help.  They're dedicated to their profession and passionate about their work. It's a beautiful feeling to meet people that are living...

0 Comment »

Seven Lehman Spring '13 Tech Initiatives

imageA key goal at Lehman is to ensure that our students have access to the technologies and resources they need in a world that is increasingly fast-paced, mobile and hyper-connected.  We are pleased to share several planned technology initiatives as Lehman's spring semester gets underway. These projects reflect a collaborative effort across campus departments to enhance student success:

1)  Our Mobile Printing pilot is now available to all students. This initiative allows students to launch a...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Variety at Lehman College

Part of the reason why the Lehman College experience is so great is because of the variety available at Lehman. This does not exist just among the student body but across many areas. The campus exhibits diversity in terms of the variety of its many trees and its architecture.  Some buildings were built in the 1900's and others are more modern and built with environmental considerations, such as the new science building.

Education is at the core of Lehman's mission and the fields that a student...

0 Comment »

Happy Holidays!

Working as a College Assistant at the Leonard Lief Library (as a Circulation Clerk), I often meet people from all walks of life. Whether they are there to do homework, study for finals or just hide from the harsh weather, you get your share of colorful characters. There is no such thing as a job free of stress and humdrum, but there is nothing else I’d rather be doing at the moment. This time, I found myself helping an older student with a flash drive issue. One quick glance and I knew...

Read More »
1 Comment »

My Lehman Experience

I enjoyed Lehman when I attended the college as a student. I worked hard in life but should have worked less and concentrated more on getting better grade!  That is what matters, but back then I did not know the keys in life to be successful.

Topic: Student Life
First Name: J
Last Name: Henry
State: NY

Read More » » Read More »
0 Comment »

The Power of Education 2...

Ever since I became a Lehman College student, I have been lucky enough to have encountered some very strong professors. As a student returning to college after a 15 year  hiatus, I have to be real and say that I am finding that my education here is not opening my eyes to any new or unlearned ideas and theories but is validating and giving a voice to the lessons that I have learned throughout my lifetime so far. When I say this, I mean no disrespect. I think that this is the greatest...

Read More »
1 Comment »

What I Didn't Think Was Going To Happen

If you were to tell me that I was going to like being back in school, I would have told you that you were crazy!  I was unemployed and got a grant to take some classes and decided to take the training classes at a college. Lehman College was on the list as part of a government grant training program. Mary Dowling was the first person I met and she became one of my biggest motivators. She looked at me and said that "you seem to be taking classes here and there, why don't you try to go to...

Read More »
0 Comment »

5 Years and Off

I have spent 9 semesters at Lehman, and I AM FINALLY GOING GRADUATE!  But I am glad that I ended up at Lehman. My experiences have been great. As a freshman, I knew I wanted to go into political science and save the world, but joining Student Government actually got me working. It helped me realize that networking has the word "work" in it for a reason. Since I was able to get to know so many people and organizations, I was able to create my own major, study abroad on a full scholarship, and...

1 Comment »

2012 Lehman College Graduate Photobooth

Take a group of, one camera, and a little persuasion to have some fun and what do you get?  Over 300 photos of fun and celebration turned into a 3 1/2 minute slide show!

At this year’s Lehman College Commencement we asked one of our College Assistants, along with a crew of four interns, to embark on a little adventure: get some graduates to really let loose for our camera! We set up a photo booth, and while the students were getting ready, robes and all, for Commencement, we encouraged...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Obscura, Spring 2012

obscura spring 2012Obscura, the literary magazine of Lehman College is edited and produced by Lehman students, and solely features the writing, artwork, and photography of our students and alumni.

The Spring 2012 issue is now available. If you would like to receive a hard copy of the magazine, contact the Department of English at 718-960-8556, or stop by Carman Hall, Room 302.

This issue also features work by two high school students, as a result of our growing partnership with the NYC Lab School for...

Read More » » Read More »
0 Comment »

Campus Life: The Move!

About three weeks ago, the renovation process of the Student Life Building began, and with it the Office of Campus Life, the Student Government Association (SGA), and most importantly the student clubs and organizations had to find a new place to operate. Now, the Office of Campus Life, SGA, and the Meridian are operating temporarily in the Old Gym Building. Clubs were advised that limited space prevented the assignment of club rooms before the renovation started. Therefore, all  student...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Esmeralda Santiago, and the Importance of the Arts

On March 21 Lehman welcomed acclaimed author Esmeralda Santiago to Lehman as the keynote speaker for the annual Lehman Lecture. Nearly 400 people packed the Lovinger Theatre to hear Ms. Santiago speak, and she did not disappoint. The author of the acclaimed memoirs, When I Was Puerto Rican and Almost a Woman, and the new historical novel, Conquistadora, Ms. Santiago spoke about her life as an immigrant and as a writer, and inspired the entire audience.

It was a great day for Lehman to host...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Writers Beware: The Collateral Damage of Linsanity

Now that Jeremy Lin has come down to earth, and the Knicks have shown themselves to be nothing more than playoff hopefuls this year, there remain two  lessons to be learned by student and professional writers alike.

With the rise of Jeremy Lin, who could ignore the pun frenzy in the media: "Linsanity"; "The Lin Dynasty"; "Lin-Diesel"; a virtual smorgasbord of puns! A headline writer's dream.

Until it became careless, unprofessional, and irresponsible. An ESPN writer was terminated for writing...

0 Comment »

Student Support Services

This is a busy week  on Lehman College Campus!  On Friday, February 24th, I am giving a short talk to the Lehman Peer Educators about Strategies for Academic Success and on Sunday, I am giving a talk at  the Campus Life, Leadership Retreat on developing your unique voice as a leader.  

In preparation, I have been reading about the factors that help students succeed academically, which include a combination of personal characteristics, previous and present abilities, and family and social...

0 Comment »

A Club for Dreamers

Among the many students I have met at Lehman few are as strong and united as the members of the Lehman Dream Team which is one of the many clubs and student organizations at Campus Life. I had the pleasure to meet its president, Melissa Garcia Velez, and secretary, Shabel Castro, who through their noticeable hard work inspired me to join their cause.

Something I have learned quickly is the purpose of this organization. Although the Dream Team’s main purpose is to gather students for DREAM Act...

1 Comment »

A Breath of Fresh Air: Lehman Prepares for CUNY-wide Ban on Smoking

(The author of this article is Gregory Castro; it is being reposted here by permission of Meridian, the Student Newspaper of Lehman College.)

Effective this September, all CUNY schools will become smoke-free, making CUNY “the largest smoke-free public university system in the United States.” Students, faculty and staff will be required to step out of school grounds in order to smoke.

Cindy Kreisberg, the Director of Lehman’s Student Health Center, said that there will be no smoking “within...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Meet our Graduate Students in Art!

Featuring Steven Dana, Stacey Zereilli, and Nelson Alvarez, art students working toward their MFAs.

Read More » » Read More »
0 Comment »

One Step at a Time: Lehman Lightning Women's Basketball

women's basketballThe Lehman Lightning Women’s basketball team has picked itself up by the bootstraps. When assessing the team’s performance thus far, one can conclude that there has been constant, gradual improvement.

Initially struggling out of the gate at 4-6, highlighted by a 53-point thumping at the hands of national powerhouse Amherst College , the Lightning remained poised and confident. After a rough 0-3 start to the season, sophomore guard Chris Mary Martinez reassured that it was simply a matter of...

0 Comment »