Text a call number to yourself!

The CUNY Catalog has a new feature: sending the call number of an item (e.g., book, CD, video, etc.) to your cellphone.

It is very easy to use. Simply go to the catalog and search for an item. Once you've retrieved it, click on the "Location and Call Number" button and then click on the "Send Info via Text" button .

A pop-up window will open, giving you the option to enter your phone number and mobile carrier. Click on "Send Message" and, within seconds, you will receive a text message with...
1 Comment »

Mobile First Web and Content Strategy: Lehman website is mobile!

At the 12 CUNY IT conference this past December I had the pleasure to give a presentation together with David Stevens, Manager of Web Services, Lehman College and Gerlando Termini, Web Developer, Lehman College about our work in the development of Lehman's website.

Each of us talked about different aspects of the project.

David opened with an overview of Lehman's evolving web eco-system and the mobile sites crucial role in the college's overall web content strategy.

Gerlando walked the...
Read More »
0 Comment »

Variety at Lehman College

Part of the reason why the Lehman College experience is so great is because of the variety available at Lehman. This does not exist just among the student body but across many areas. The campus exhibits diversity in terms of the variety of its many trees and its architecture.  Some buildings were built in the 1900's and others are more modern and built with environmental considerations, such as the new science building.

Education is at the core of Lehman's mission and the fields that a student...

0 Comment »

The Power of Education 2...

Ever since I became a Lehman College student, I have been lucky enough to have encountered some very strong professors. As a student returning to college after a 15 year  hiatus, I have to be real and say that I am finding that my education here is not opening my eyes to any new or unlearned ideas and theories but is validating and giving a voice to the lessons that I have learned throughout my lifetime so far. When I say this, I mean no disrespect. I think that this is the greatest...

Read More »
1 Comment »

The Mid-Term as a Diagnostic Tool

October is a month in which summer’s fading warming sometimes lingers a little longer, approaching winter’s first frost nips fragile blossoms and lush blades of grass, the leaves erupt in a growing explosion of color, and a sweet harvest of gourds—and Candy Corn for children—ends the month. It is also a month when Mid-Term Examinations can provide early but robust insight into student learning progress.

In my classes, the Mid-Term serves four purposes: (1) it is a diagnostic tool for assessing...

0 Comment »

IMF Report Presents a Teaching Opportunity

Among the goals for Lehman College’s Economics Program is that graduates will “demonstrate understanding of national and international economic issues and linkages.”

To facilitate that goal, my course utilizes the International Monetary Fund’s (IMF’s) semi-annual World Economic Outlook reports. Those reports contain a chapter that discusses global economic prospects and policies and another that focuses on country and regional perspectives. Additional chapters are focused on timely themes...

0 Comment »

Writing SAT Scores Set New Low

The 2012 scores for the writing SAT exam saw male and female high school students reach a new low.  The writing test was first administered in 2006. That outcome further illustrates the importance of enhanced opportunities for student writing improvement at the college level.

During spring 2012, my BBA 407—Microeconomic Foundations of Business course for first-year business students was “writing-intensive.” Such courses require students to write 15-20 pages of proofread, typed work over...

0 Comment »

Dreams do come true...

The day has finally arrived! Thousands of Lehmanites have achieved their goals and graduated alongside myself on a day like today. No one said it would be an easy journey but having completed this chapter sure makes up for all those sleepless nights and procrastination. Last year, I graduated with my Bachelors in Sociology while this year, I graduated with my Masters of Science in Childhood Education.   Just one year later! MATH-UP is a very intensive but rewarding program. We were able to...

0 Comment »

Cheated But Not Robbed

I am in an auditorium of Fordham University, sitting in one of the front rows. I sit in my silky white gown, feeling anxious of what I have to do- give a valedictorian speech in front of the audience filled with school faculty members, proud parents, family members, and friends. But though I was nervous, I felt honored to be given the title of the top student in my high school senior class  And if that was not enough, I was accepted into three of my desired colleges, Maryland Institute of...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Sweet Dreams and Happy Graduation Counselor Education/School Counseling Class of 2012 and Welcome Class of 2016!

What a year it has been. We started off with the Class of 2012 immersed in readying their school counseling program websites, school counseling curriculum classroom lessons, school counseling brochures, and digital bulletin boards while busy in internship sites in K-12 schools in the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and beyond. To see what they look like, check out Lehman Counselor Education/School Counseling '09 alum Lisa DeMauro's Manhattan middle school counseling program website at: htt...

Read More »
0 Comment »

MATH-UP Open House you say...

That’s right! The MATH UP Program is having an open house on May 24th! This is a great opportunity for those interested in becoming elementary school teachers. This may be you first year teaching, you may be wondering what teachers need to do or you may have a career change and want to try teaching out.  All are welcome.  As you may recall, this is a Graduate program in Childhood Education grades 1-6 with a specialization in mathematics and/or with a certification extension in bilingual...

0 Comment »

QR Codes in the Library stacks

Have you noticed barcode lookalike squares in the subway or in print magazine ads? 

Ever wondered what it is? It's a QR code, which is short for Quick Response code. To read a QR code, you need a smartphone like an iPhone, Android, or Blackberry with an installed QR reader.

You can scan a QR code, but the phone needs to be connected to the Internet or it won't work. Once scanned the mysterious code converts into information, usually the link to a website, a person's phone number, or a short...
Read More »
2 Comment »

Where can I get more experience?

Students at the Multimedia Center ask me all the time "where can I get more experience in video/photo production?" and it's a great question.  The answer I always give is.... "everywhere."  A friend once told me that "every moment is learning moment" and I believe that applies to everyone. Whether you're shooting video or photos on your iPhone or working as an assistant to a professional there is always something you can take away.