Variety at Lehman College

Part of the reason why the Lehman College experience is so great is because of the variety available at Lehman. This does not exist just among the student body but across many areas. The campus exhibits diversity in terms of the variety of its many trees and its architecture.  Some buildings were built in the 1900's and others are more modern and built with environmental considerations, such as the new science building.

Education is at the core of Lehman's mission and the fields that a student...

0 Comment »

I've Enjoyed My Time Here at Lehman

I've enjoyed my time at here at Lehman College.  When transferring from Bronx Community College, Lehman was my first choice and I've not even come close to regretting it. The teachers here have been great - several of them being very capable and focused on making the material understandable to all students.  One of them even helped me get the job I have today, which I enjoy due to the exposure to new technologies that I've never seen before.  I've enjoyed the experiences I've been acquiring...

0 Comment »

The Power of Education 2...

Ever since I became a Lehman College student, I have been lucky enough to have encountered some very strong professors. As a student returning to college after a 15 year  hiatus, I have to be real and say that I am finding that my education here is not opening my eyes to any new or unlearned ideas and theories but is validating and giving a voice to the lessons that I have learned throughout my lifetime so far. When I say this, I mean no disrespect. I think that this is the greatest...

Read More »
1 Comment »

5 Years and Off

I have spent 9 semesters at Lehman, and I AM FINALLY GOING GRADUATE!  But I am glad that I ended up at Lehman. My experiences have been great. As a freshman, I knew I wanted to go into political science and save the world, but joining Student Government actually got me working. It helped me realize that networking has the word "work" in it for a reason. Since I was able to get to know so many people and organizations, I was able to create my own major, study abroad on a full scholarship, and...

1 Comment »

Transfer Student Blues

I am a transfer student from Bronx Community College. My major is Social Work and my minor is History. When I first came to Lehman, I thought that everything would run smoothly because I did my research and Lehman was a good school. I learned that if you want something, you better make some noise because I was tired of being told "that is how things are" or "there is nothing else to be done."  Attending Lehman College has had a definite impact on my public speaking skills. I have learned how...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Obscura, Spring 2012

obscura spring 2012Obscura, the literary magazine of Lehman College is edited and produced by Lehman students, and solely features the writing, artwork, and photography of our students and alumni.

The Spring 2012 issue is now available. If you would like to receive a hard copy of the magazine, contact the Department of English at 718-960-8556, or stop by Carman Hall, Room 302.

This issue also features work by two high school students, as a result of our growing partnership with the NYC Lab School for...

Read More » » Read More »
0 Comment »

Writers Beware: The Collateral Damage of Linsanity

Now that Jeremy Lin has come down to earth, and the Knicks have shown themselves to be nothing more than playoff hopefuls this year, there remain two  lessons to be learned by student and professional writers alike.

With the rise of Jeremy Lin, who could ignore the pun frenzy in the media: "Linsanity"; "The Lin Dynasty"; "Lin-Diesel"; a virtual smorgasbord of puns! A headline writer's dream.

Until it became careless, unprofessional, and irresponsible. An ESPN writer was terminated for writing...

0 Comment »

I'm going to miss this place...

In 2006, I was graduating from another college with my associate's degree. With no real plan other than the idea of wanting to study journalism at Lehman College, I honestly couldn't wait to begin my journey. Many people would think I am saying this to boost egos--but I've had some of the best professors, my most favorite being Professor O'Hanlon. I took about three or four courses with him, and learned so much that I try to incorporate into whichever field of journalism I pursue. Each time a...

0 Comment »

Incident on Friday Resolution on Monday!

Imagine how surprised I was when I pulled up to the gate and swiped my card and could not gain entrance into the parking lot when my parking permit clearly states "expired May 2012".  Apparently, students were not allowed to park on days when we did not have classes. This was due to an unanticipated change to the rules. I called public safety and the officer informed me of new rules in place  that prevented students from parking on days they did not have classes. I decided to speak to the...Read... Read More »
0 Comment »

Academic Advising

While I carry many different responsibilities as an Academic Advisor: technology projects, teaching in-service coursework, writing, committee work, etc., my favorite part of my job is the part described by my title. I enjoy advising students.

Much of my time spent with students is focused on helping them to choose courses that fulfill their graduation requirements.  Sounds simple? Yes, but only sometimes. Sometimes a student will need to talk through various alternatives—for example, choices...

Read More »
1 Comment »

What Makes Counselor Education/School Counseling at Lehman Special

Hi everyone and Happy National School Counseling Week!

I am honored to be the first School of Education faculty blogger for CUNY Lehman College. The Counselor Education/School Counseling Program is in the Counseling, Leadership, Literacy and Special Education Department and our department office is Carman Hall B-20.  What makes our program special includes our focus on transformed school counseling and college and career access/readiness/success for all K-12 students. Professional School...Read... Read More »
0 Comment »