ANNY Regional Event Shares Assessment Insights

On November 15, 2013, the Assessment Network of New York (ANNY) held a regional assessment eventhosted by Adirondack Community College. ANNY is a professional network established to assist New York State’s colleges and universities in their efforts to assess student learning and institutional effectiveness. Colleges and universities outside of New York State can participate and have participated in ANNY events. Lehman College’s Assessment Coordinator, Raymond Galinski, has played...

Read More »
0 Comment »

An Insight on Student Use of the Library

The November 15, 2012 edition of Library Journal discussed a survey concerning student use and perceptions of academic libraries. The article reported that even as they enjoy high approval ratings, academic libraries could benefit from improved outreach to college students.

Key findings from that survey included:

• 90% of students who used their library said that they would be “very likely” or “somewhat likely” to use the library again.
  • Students’ primary uses of the library included study...
2 Comment »

Facilitating Diversity at Lehman College

In an announcement distributed to Lehman College’s faculty on November 29, Provost Dr. Anny Morrobel-Sosa announced the creation of a new Diversity Steering Council to be comprised of faculty, staff, and administrators. The Council’s first project would be the development of a Strategic Plan for Faculty Diversity by spring 2013.

This project is a logical strategic step consistent with Lehman College’s fundamental commitment to diversity. Lehman College has committed itself to diversity in its miss...

Read More »
0 Comment »

Lehman College: Opportunity Abounds Here

Three years ago, I was a veteran and single mother of three working a thankless job with no upward mobility. Through the veterans coordinator in my office, I received information about the Post 9/11 Montgomery Gl Bill.  After reading all of the details, I decided to go back to school...full time. I was fearful about resigning from my position, however completing my undergraduate degree was so much more important. A family friend told me about Lehman College and it was surprisingly close to...

0 Comment »

The School of Continuing and Professional Studies Welcomes All

At the School of Continuing and Professional Studies the door is open to ALL--from grade school students to active seniors, undergraduates, international students, new and established small business owners, union and industry partners, students seeking new careers, and many others.

I've worked with our programs as an administrator, researcher, and program developer and coordinator since 1981 and have seen exciting developments along with the steady growth of our school which now serves...

Read More »
1 Comment »

Telling a Story in Pictures--with Help from Some Talented Art Students

Communicating with words—that’s what I learned to do as an undergraduate English major. My professors trained me to read, speak, and write, and I’m better for it. But as any good art student knows, words are not the only means of communication. This year, junior art majors Gerard Gayle and Melissa Puma have been teaching me how to communicate with images.

Gerard Gayle and Melissa Puma Melissa and Gerard are participating in an independent study facilitated by the Leonard Lief Library (where I work) and the Art Department.......

Read More »
0 Comment »

Academic Advising

While I carry many different responsibilities as an Academic Advisor: technology projects, teaching in-service coursework, writing, committee work, etc., my favorite part of my job is the part described by my title. I enjoy advising students.

Much of my time spent with students is focused on helping them to choose courses that fulfill their graduation requirements.  Sounds simple? Yes, but only sometimes. Sometimes a student will need to talk through various alternatives—for example, choices...

Read More »
1 Comment »