The Power of Education 2...

Ever since I became a Lehman College student, I have been lucky enough to have encountered some very strong professors. As a student returning to college after a 15 year  hiatus, I have to be real and say that I am finding that my education here is not opening my eyes to any new or unlearned ideas and theories but is validating and giving a voice to the lessons that I have learned throughout my lifetime so far. When I say this, I mean no disrespect. I think that this is the greatest...

Read More »
1 Comment »

HOT FUN IN THE SUMMER TIME

Sly and the Family Stone was not present on the  campus, but "Hot Fun in the Summertime" was our motto for Lehman College Now Summer Programs. Because students involved in our programs realized that learning is fun!

This summer over 65 students from NYC public high schools came to the Lehman campus during summer session II and enrolled in courses in Biology, Chemistry and Geographical Sciences as part of our Summer Science Academy. In addition, we have over 85 students enrolled in our Summer...

0 Comment »

Writers Beware: The Collateral Damage of Linsanity

Now that Jeremy Lin has come down to earth, and the Knicks have shown themselves to be nothing more than playoff hopefuls this year, there remain two  lessons to be learned by student and professional writers alike.

With the rise of Jeremy Lin, who could ignore the pun frenzy in the media: "Linsanity"; "The Lin Dynasty"; "Lin-Diesel"; a virtual smorgasbord of puns! A headline writer's dream.

Until it became careless, unprofessional, and irresponsible. An ESPN writer was terminated for writing...

0 Comment »

Academic Advising

While I carry many different responsibilities as an Academic Advisor: technology projects, teaching in-service coursework, writing, committee work, etc., my favorite part of my job is the part described by my title. I enjoy advising students.

Much of my time spent with students is focused on helping them to choose courses that fulfill their graduation requirements.  Sounds simple? Yes, but only sometimes. Sometimes a student will need to talk through various alternatives—for example, choices...

Read More »
1 Comment »

What Makes Counselor Education/School Counseling at Lehman Special

Hi everyone and Happy National School Counseling Week!

I am honored to be the first School of Education faculty blogger for CUNY Lehman College. The Counselor Education/School Counseling Program is in the Counseling, Leadership, Literacy and Special Education Department and our department office is Carman Hall B-20.  What makes our program special includes our focus on transformed school counseling and college and career access/readiness/success for all K-12 students. Professional School...Read... Read More »
0 Comment »